The "Nicole Factor" Is Online

Welcome to the Nicole Factor at blogspot.com.
Powered By Blogger

The Nicole Factor

Search This Blog

Stage 32

My LinkedIn Profile

About Me

TwitThis

TwitThis

Twitter

Messianic Bible (As If the Bible Isn't)

My About.Me Page

Views

Facebook and Google Page

Reach Me On Facebook!

Talk To Me on Fold3!

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Is Matrilineal Jewishness Valid? The Answer Is...

Yes, but not because of the P'rushim is Matrilineal Jewishness valid. I should've at least saved my posts from one group that I was in with Asher Romero ben Israel and Adam Klein (who is not Nehemia Gordon's friend, as he stated, and clearly not my friend-- on his own volition), because I'm so damned lazy and don't really want to rewrite what I already wrote (Maybe I'm more depressed lately as well, thus more lazy. Anyway...).

First, let's begin with B'resheet 17:19-21:

19 Then God said: “No, Sarah your wife shall bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac; I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his descendants after him.20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard you. Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly. He shall beget twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation.21 But My covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah shall bear to you at this set time next year.”

We see that Yitzhak had to have Sarah-- not anyone else-- as his mother and Avraham-- not anyone else-- as his dad (which is why, incidentally, I believe that some Kara'im argue that both parents must be Jewish in order for the child to be Jewish). We also see that Yitzhak was the first Yehudi:

22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman. 23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise24 which things are symbolic. For these are the[d] two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar— 25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children— 26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all. 27 For it is written:
“Rejoice, O barren,
You who do not bear!
Break forth and shout,
You who are not in labor!
For the desolate has many more children
Than she who has a husband.”[e].

Yitzhak was "born of the promise". We see that in this way, Yitzhak was the first Jew and that Patrilineal Jewishness is as valid as Matrilineal Jewishness. But let's get back to Matrilineal Jewishness. We've seen so far that the contribution of the mother cannot be left out (thus part of why I stated that  I believe that some Kara'im argue that both parents must be Jewish in order for the child to be Jewish). The contribution certainly was not left out in the cases of the young Dani of Mitzrayimi parentage, Hiram the king of Phoenicia and Huram his dad(? See Wikipedia for the dispute on this.), and Timothy HaYavani:



One more quick example; which is not Scriptural, nonetheless valid: Geraldo Rivera's daughter Sol. Are we to say that she is not Jewish because her dad's paternal granddad was a Spaniard and his paternal grandmother a Taino Native American? Is Sol then only a Spaniard of Taino and Jewish descent? To rule out Lillian Friedman Rivera's contribution and Erica Levy Rivera's contribution (which, by the way, makes Sol a Matrilineal Levit) would be entirely unfair and unpractical, especially since Sol is 3/4 Jewish. 




No comments: